This post was most recently updated on July 8th, 2019
Diarrhea is a common condition, is characterized by watery stools or instant bowel movement. The occurrence of this condition depends on several reasons; millions of people will experience it once or twice every year. You may lose your stamina by flush out fluid from your body when you have diarrhea, and this condition can be lead to death in infants. In these cases, you need to replenish fluids and electrolytes that have been lost by diarrhea. I will share with you what to eat when you have diarrhea along with some liquids. I hope this article will help you to recover from acute diarrhea. Before getting into the topic, you should know about diarrhea types, causes, and its signs to take proper action.
Usually, it lasts for one to two days and goes away without any treatment, but chronic diarrhea lasts for 3 to four weeks or more, call your doctor to seek immediate treatment, if you are experiencing frequent bowel movement more than two days that may sign of irritable bowel syndrome or intestinal disease (Celiac disease).
You need proper medication when you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome or intestinal diseases, which may lead to further complications if left untreated.
- 1 What To Eat When You Have Diarrhea
- 1.1 1. Homemade Energy Drink
- 1.2 2. Add Yogurt To Your Diet
- 1.3 3. Consume Banana
- 1.4 4. Barley Juice To Boost Stamina
- 1.5 5. Unripe Chiku
- 1.6 6. White Rice
- 1.7 7. Boiled Potato
- 1.8 8. Pomegranate Peel Infusion
- 1.9 9. Drink Plenty of Water Throughout the Day
- 1.10 Foods To Avoid When You Have Diarrhea
- 1.11 Call Your Doctor
- 1.12 Precautions To Avoid Diarrhea
- 1.13 Conclusion:
- 1.14 Question And Answers For Diarrhea Diet
Causes of diarrhea
In normal circumstances, bacterial or viral infection causes diarrhea. However, some other factors are also responsible for diarrhea such as:
- Food poisoning
- Your bowel reacting to medications
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Celiac disease
- Low immunity
- Bloating stomach
- Expose to pollution
Symptoms Of Diarrhea
You may experience a combination of signs or anyone of symptom listed below:
- Abdomen pain
- Frequent need to bowel moment
- Dehydrated Skin
- A headache
Note: If you experience constant bowel movement along with fever that may sign of abdominal infection, call your doctor to take action immediately.
What To Eat When You Have Diarrhea
You need to choose low fiber and bland food while you are experiencing diarrhea. Bland foods are ideally better while having diarrhea instead of fried and roasted foods.
You can avoid diarrhea by following some healthy diets, which not only reduce bacteria and virus overgrowth in the esophagus but also improves good bacteria growth that promotes digestion and in check parasites, bacterial overgrowth that causes diarrhea in some cases.
Bananas, apple sauces, hot cereals, white rice, chicken broth, and liquid diets are ideally better when you have diarrhea. These foods are bland and firm up watery stools to reduce instant bowel moment.
Liquid foods can replenish fluids and electrolytes that lost by diarrhea. Let’s checkout list of diets for your health when you have diarrhea.
Note: Do not add sugar to your food that may increase symptoms of diarrhea.
1. Homemade Energy Drink
Homemade energy drink helps to boost instant energy by restoring electrolytes and fluids. The healing abilities in it can control the frequent bowel movement as well. Its preparation and usage are also much more straightforward.
What You Need:
- 1 Liter water
- One tablespoon of honey or sugar
- Half tablespoon of salt
- ¼ of baking soda
- A half cup of orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
How To Prepare And Consume:
- Add these all ingredients to 1-liter water and mix them well.
- Drink this drink between every 10 minutes gap throughout the day.
Note: 1 liter is enough for children, but adults should take 3 liters throughout the day.
2. Add Yogurt To Your Diet
Yogurt consist of Acidophilus Lactobacillus live bacteria that help to balances the harmful bacteria in the esophagus, which may cause diarrhea in some cases. In addition to yogurt has soothing abilities that reduce burning sensation and minimize bloating stomach.
3. Consume Banana
Banana can be easily digestible and is loaded with potassium, low fibers along with carbohydrates, which provide instant energy and clean digestive tract that effected diarrhea. Unripened banana helps firm up your loose stools, but consumption of more than two bananas leads constipation. It is a better choice to prevent watery stools instantly.
4. Barley Juice To Boost Stamina
You may lose your stamina by losing electrolytes and minerals from your body. Barly juice can replace electrolytes and boost your strength. Also, it enriched with high calories along with vitamins and antioxidants, which provide instant energy to your body in critical situations — moreover, this juice help to reduce gastric and bloating stomach. The presence of remaining nutritional values stimulates cells growth in the body and reduce oxidative stress caused by free radicals.
You need to follow some precautions while consuming barley juice because unstrained barley contains more calories, which may show a negative impact.
- Add a half cup of strained juice barely to apple juice or add a half tablespoon of lemon juice to it to balance your stamina immediately.
Note: Do not consume more than two cups of barley juice per day.
5. Unripe Chiku
Chiku is a fruit that we know as Sapota. Just like all the fruits, it is also enriched essential nutrients such as vitamins, proteins, antioxidants, calcium along with anti-inflammatory abilities. Unripened Chiku can prevent diarrhea, but excessive use can lead to constipation. Try to consume unripe Chiku when you have acute diarrhea.
6. White Rice
Eating plain white rice is the right choice when you have diarrhea, the presence of high-level carbohydrates enhances your stamina and can be digested easily. Do not add fried recipes or spicy sauces with it that may cause to speed up bowel movement. You can add buttermilk or yogurt with white rice to keep calm your gut.
7. Boiled Potato
It is also one of the best foods to slow down bowel moment. Potassium, along with essential nutrients abundant in the potato which offers proper digestion and enhances your strength.
8. Pomegranate Peel Infusion
Pomegranate infusion helps in reducing severe diarrhea due to the presence of medicinal values. Our ancestors used its infusion to slowing down bowel moment. Topical consumption of this infusion can prevent heart diseases also.
9. Drink Plenty of Water Throughout the Day
While experiencing diarrhea, you will lose a high amount of water from your body that leads over dehydration, which results in sagging skin and sunken eyes, thus, drinking of more than 3 liters water throughout the day. Moreover, it helps to flush out toxins from your body by urine excretion.
How To Prepare:
- Separate the peel of pomegranate and add them to two cups of water.
- Heat them on the flame until reaching a cup of infusion.
- Consume it before going to bed.
- It can provide instant relief from diarrhea and reduce harmful bacteria and virus growth in the stomach.
Foods To Avoid When You Have Diarrhea
- Avoid spicy and oily foods that can disturb your digestion and causes to bloating stomach.
- Stop eating raw vegetables.
- Do not add sources to your diet that speedup bowel movement when you have diarrhea.
- Avoid rich fiber diets that induce loose bowel movement.
- Do not eat sugar contained foods that aggravate the symptoms of diarrhea.
- Stop smoking cigarettes, which can dehydrate your body.
Call Your Doctor
According to some researchers, bacteria and parasites can cause diarrhea. Sometimes we can reduce diarrhea with home remedies, while other times need antibiotics to treat acute diarrhea.
If your symptoms not cleared within 24 hours or suffering from fever along with vomiting, dehydration, and dry mouth, call your doctor immediately.
It would help if you considered some other symptoms, which include:
- Abdominal pain
- cry without tears
- dry tongue
- black or bloody stools.
- Mucus in the stools
Precautions To Avoid Diarrhea
- Clean your containers with soapy water.
- Wash vegetables with salt water to remove bacterial effects.
- Drink lukewarm water in the morning of the day.
- Consume 5to 10 holy basil leaves in the morning to keep the digestive system healthy.
- Drink plenty of water through the day to flush out toxins from your body.
- Clean your surroundings to avoid bacterial growth.
- Stop workouts when you have diarrhea.
- Wash your hands with soapy water before eating food.
We can treat diarrhea with over the counter medications, home treatments, and following some diets and taking more fluids.
After recovered of diarrhea, eat more fruits and yogurt to balance electrolytes and restore good bacteria.
Question And Answers For Diarrhea Diet
Q: What are the best foods when you have diarrhea?
A: Bland foods such as rice, banana, and chicken broth.
Q: How to maintain stamina while having diarrhea?
A: Take more fluids such as orange juice and oral rehydration salt.
Q: How to prevent diarrhea?
A: Avoid pollution and maintain hygenie.
Q: Do I eat raw vegetables while having diarrhea?
A: No, you should not consume raw vegetables when you have diarrhea. The presence of fiber content can aggravate symptoms of diarrhea.
Q: How much water should I Drink?
A: Drink plenty of water throughout the day and drink a cup of water after every bowel movement.