This post was most recently updated on March 23rd, 2019
Cold is a common illness caused due to the viral infection which includes sneezing, cough, and headache. It occurs when the respiratory system gets affected by the viruses. The typical two viruses named rhinovirus and coronavirus present in the air causes common cold when they get inhaled into the body.
- 1 Causes Of Cold And Cough
- 2 Common symptoms of cold
- 3 Natural remedies for a cough and cold
- 3.1 1. Drink Warm Water To Prevent Cold
- 3.2 2. Ginger, Holy Basil, And Pepper Prevent Cold
- 3.3 3. Zandu Balm For Cold
- 3.4 4. Pepper And Milk To Prevent Cough And Cold
- 3.5 5. Honey And Tulasi
- 3.6 6. Cinnamon Syrup To Prevent A Cough
- 3.7 7. Ginger To Prevent Cough
- 3.8 8. Turmeric Powder
- 3.9 9. Garlic Cloves To Prevent Cough And Cold
- 3.10 10. Lemon To Prevent Common Cold
- 3.11 11. Black Pepper And Kalakand
- 3.12 Question And Answers About Common Cold
Causes Of Cold And Cough
People think that cold is commonly occurred due to cool weathers and temperatures, but it is a wrong opinion. The undigested food present in the body gets converted into mucus or toxins and reaches the respiratory system and results in common cold and cough. The excess production of mucus leads to blocked nose and cough.
The mucus droplets can spread by air from the cold infected person when they sneeze and affect the people. It is initiated by a viral infection through different viruses present in the air.
Common symptoms of cold
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Mild fever
Natural remedies for a cough and cold
The conventional medications to cold may turn you drowsy which may affect you badly. There are some simple and effective home remedies for a cough and cold which gives you instant relief and prevent cough and cold. The following remedies are natural and free from side effects and very effective.
1. Drink Warm Water To Prevent Cold
Drinking warm water provides you relief from common cold and avoids the formation of viruses and keeps you hydrated. Repeat drinking warm water or liquids like soup and herbal teas for a couple of times in a day for quick relief. It is considered as the best one in natural remedies for a cough and cold.
- Avoid caffeine products and smoking which may dehydrate you when you are suffering from cold and cough.
- Consume water as much as you can to prevent a cold and cough.
2. Ginger, Holy Basil, And Pepper Prevent Cold
Holy basil known as Tulasi or Ocimum sanctum is a potent herb which is widely used to treat cold and cough since centuries. The combination of ginger, holy and pepper is a great medicine that has been used by Ancestor Indians to prevent a cold and dry cough. This magical syrup cleanses the respiratory system and toxins from the body.
Take two pieces of ginger, 10holy basil leaves, and 10peppers.
- Add these three ingredients to a cup of water and boil them for 15 minutes on a medium flame.
- Drink the blend with an empty stomach and make sure not to take a bath for half an hour after its consumption.
It provides ultimate relief from a frequent cough and prevents cold by clearing the virus and bacteria.
3. Zandu Balm For Cold
Zandu Balm is a well-known product to get instant relief from a headache and body pains. It is a fantastic ingredient to get quick relief from blocked nose and prevents a cough. Let’s see how to use Zandu balm for cold prevention.
- Boil the water to the accurate temperature and mix a teaspoon of Zandu balm with the water.
- Zandu balm gets reacted with water and releases steam.
- Inhale the steam by wrapping yourself in a blanket including the boiling pot. Make sure that the water is not too hot because it may affect the mucous membrane of the nose.
- Repeat the procedure once in a day for a week to prevent cold and cough.
4. Pepper And Milk To Prevent Cough And Cold
Black pepper is highly abundant in important vitamins and fibers which can prevent sinusitis and nasal infections due to its expectorant and antiviral properties. It can flush out the toxins by clearing the mucus deposits in the respiratory system.
- Add a half spoon of black pepper paste to a glass of hot milk and consume it before you sleep to prevent cough and the common cold.
5. Honey And Tulasi
Honey acts as a powerful antioxidant for the body. Its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties fight against the bacteria and fungus which causes cold and boosts the immune system of the body. The combination of honey and holy basil is one of the best one in natural remedies for a cough and cold.
- Grind few fresh Tulasi leaves along with a tablespoon of honey to get little juice.
- Consume it once in a day to prevent a cold and dry cough before you sleep.
It is the foremost one in home remedies for cold and cough which can also boost the immune system.
6. Cinnamon Syrup To Prevent A Cough
Cinnamon is an amazing spice with several health benefits. It is fully loaded with essential vitamins and minerals which boost up the body. It can fights off the viral infections by killing bacteria and fungus in the body. The combination of honey and cinnamon is an effective healing one in home remedies for a cough and cold.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a tablespoon of raw honey and mix them well together to form a fine paste.
- Consume it as syrup twice in a day to prevent cough and cold in 3-4 days.
- You can also drink by adding it to a glass of hot water.
2nd way of use:
- Add two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a teaspoon of raw honey to a glass of water.
- Consume it once in a day to prevent the common cold and cough.
7. Ginger To Prevent Cough
The combination of salt and ginger can prevent and whooping cough and cold, as well as it improves the functioning of the digestive system. Ginger improves the blood circulation and clears respiratory tract. It helps to relieve nasal congestions and prevent a cough.
- Dip the fresh ginger piece in salt and consume it 2 to 3 times a day to prevent cold and cough from getting quick relief from a sore throat.
2nd Way Of Use:
- Add 4-5 chopped ginger pieces to a cup of water and boil them for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain the juice into a glass and add a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Mix it well together and consume that warm liquid syrup once in a day to prevent cold and sore throat.
8. Turmeric Powder
Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant and antiviral ingredient which provides numerous health benefits. The presence of antibacterial and antimicrobial properties of it kills the viruses and bacteria present in the body. It is an effective one to prevent cold and alleviate its symptoms. Let’s see how to prevent common cold by turmeric powder.
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of hot milk and stir it well.
- Consume the warm milk before you sleep to relieve the chest congestion and to clear the mucus from the respiratory system.
2nd Way Of Use:
- Add a tablespoon of turmeric powder to a cup of water and boil them together for 20 minutes.
- Wrap yourself in a towel or blanket including the boiling pot and inhale the steam for 4-5 minutes.
- Make sure to inhale the normal heat steam. Excess heat may affect the mucous membrane and nasal cavities.
9. Garlic Cloves To Prevent Cough And Cold
Garlic is fully loaded with antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial properties which can fight against the cold viruses. The presence of allicin in it is an antiviral compound which fights off bacteria and fungi in the body. Chewing raw garlic cloves 3-4 times a day relieves you from a continuous cough.
- Add a teaspoon of raw honey and a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to crushed garlic cloves and consume it 2-3 times in a day for quick relief.
This remedy helps to flush out the toxins from the body and clears the respiratory tract.
10. Lemon To Prevent Common Cold
Lemon is an excellent detoxifier of the body which helps to flush out the harmful toxins from the digestive tract and body. It is a good source of vitamin c which boosts up the immune system and cleans the digestive system. Its juice helps to clean the uritract and respiratory tracts of the body.
- Add one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to two tablespoons of raw honey and mix them well together.
- Consume it every three hours to prevent common cold and cough.
- Try to take long breathes to stop coughing.
2nd Ways Of Use:
- Boil a cup of water for 5-6 minutes by adding a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it.
- Strain the water and squeeze a fresh lemon in the water and mix them well together.
- Consume it 2 to 3 times a day to get relief from a sore throat and cough.
11. Black Pepper And Kalakand
The presence of antibacterial and antiviral properties in these ingredients effectively reduces common cold and cough.
How To Use:
- Add 1/4teaspoon of Kalakanda to 1/4of Blackpper powder and mix them well.
- Consume this mixture evening and morning and drink lukewarm water.
Question And Answers About Common Cold
Q: How Zandu Balm Helps in Reducing Cough And Cold?
A: Zandu Balm made by herbs and other medicinal content which reduce excess water and mucus that causing cold.
Q: How To Use Zandu Balm For Cold?
A: You can apply zandu balm directly to your head or heat some water until getting a constant temperature and a 1/4 tablespoon of Zandu balm to that water.
- Inhale the hot stream slowly and exhale quickly.
- Use this remedy morning and before bed at least five minutes to get instant relief from cold.