The digestive system is an active and a crucial part of the body which provides energy to the body by transforming the raw food into nutrients. The presence of several digestive enzymes and juices in the stomach helps to break down the food and provides nutrients and minerals to the body. The digestive process takes place in the alimentary canal of the body. The undigested foods will be excreted from the alimentary canal as feces through the anus. Improper digestion can lead to several stomach disorders like ulcers, acid refluxes, bloating and constipation. If you are one of the people who struggle with improper digestion, then you can learn some home remedies and healthy habits to improve digestion and metabolism.
- 1 Unusual Everyday Habits To Improve Digestion
- 2 Best Foods For Digestion
Unusual Everyday Habits To Improve Digestion
Our lifestyle and food we intake show a direct impact on our digestive system. We can overcome digestion problems by following simple everyday habits. The following simple changes in your daily life routine can improve metabolism and aid digestive health.
1. Mindful Eating
Make sure to avoid all the electronic devices and concentrate on the food you eat while eating. Feel the taste and smell and consume it with little chewing. Chewing of food helps to ease the process of digestion and aid digestive health. Avoid eating when you are in a bad mood to prevent weight gain. A mind full dine with the concentration in a relaxed place can improve digestion.
- Chew your food thoroughly to help your gastrointestinal tract to digest food efficiently by preventing bloating and other digestive problems.
- Stick to a daily routine of in taking food to avoid unexpected carvings and to maintain a healthy digestive system.
Consumption of high amounts of water on a regular basis will help digestion by dissolving soluble fiber and fats in the stomach. Try to consume water before and after in taking of food for proper and healthy digestive process. It allows the food to flow smoothly into the intestine and avoids acid reflux and stomach ulcers by improving digestion. Drinking plenty of water can helps to flush out the harmful toxins from the digestive tract and body and avoids digestive disorders.
- Consume 5-6 liters of water per day to stay hydrated and for a healthy digestive system.
3. A Balanced Diet
Foods which are rich in natural fibers and soluble fats are more accessible to digest and improve digestion by facilitating easy bowel movements. Fibers help to flush out the harmful toxins from the body by eliminating bad cholesterol. It promotes the healthy bacteria in the stomach and aids quick digestion by enhancing digestive enzymes. The foods like natural grains, vegetables, and fishes like salmon and tuna can be the best foods to prevent digestive problems.
- Avoid consuming excess fats because the lipids can cause stomach disorders by slow downing the digestive process.
- Avoid red meat, junk and fried foods which create more strain to the digestive system. Instead of them opt for organic foods and low-fat foods for proper digestion.
- Avoid excess consumption of caffeinated drinks and hot drinks to avoid digestive disorders.
4. Exercise To Improve Metabolism
Exercise is one of the primary factors which improve digestion by increasing the metabolism of the body. Regular exercise helps to maintain the healthy body which is good for digestive health. 5-10 minutes of a walk after meals aid digestion and avoid several gastrointestinal disorders. Regular workouts improve blood circulation and facilitate muscle contractions in the stomach and aid digestion. Moreover,
- Benefits Of Exercises For Digestive Health
- Relieves constipation
- Avoids acid refluxes
- Prevents bloating
- Eliminates gas
- Improves bowel movements
5. Exercises For Healthy Digestive System
The following exercises improve digestion by enhancing bowel movements and muscle contractions in the body. A 30 minutes exercise in a day helps to avoid various gastrointestinal disorders and aids better absorption.
- Extended puppy pose
- Big toe pose
- Bridge pose and the downward facing dog pose
- Intense side stretch pose
- Diamond pose
- Childs pose
- Wind-relieving pose
- Cat and cow pose
Follow the above yoga poses on a regular basis to avoid all the digestive problems and to lead a healthy life.
6. Proper time for meals
A decent daily food routine can helps to lead a healthy life with an active digestive system. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are the three meals that we have to intake per day. Breakfast can be a most important meal of the day which you shouldn’t skip to stay active whole the day.
- Make sure to eat breakfast within 30 minutes after wakeup and 7-8am is the best time to have it. Adding foods that rich in protein and natural fibers in breakfast aid digestion.
- Lunch is an ideal and crucial meal of the day and tries to have it between 12-2 pm for a better healthy body. The addition of foods rich in fatty acids and amino acids helps to improve metabolism and enhances digestive health.
- The best time to have dinner is 6-9 pm for quick and peaceful sleep. Never sleep with an empty stomach which affects your health in a bad way. Opt for light foods which are rich in soluble fibers for quick digestion and sleep.
Best Foods For Digestion
The foods which are associated with rich fiber help to ease digestion and promote better digestive health. A balanced diet is essential for health which provides the appropriate nutrients in the correct amount to meet body requirements.
Best recommended food groups for proper digestion
- Bread, rice, cereal
- Fruits and vegetables
- Light meat and fishes like salmon and tuna
- Healthy fats and amino acids
- Low-fat Dairy and prebiotic products
- The above foods contain decent amounts of nutritional value and high in protein and soluble fats which promote healthy digestion and improves metabolism. Broccoli, raspberries, black and green beans, cucumbers, avocados, apples, carrots, beetroots, lentils are some of the best foods for digestive problems.
Bananas are highly associated with natural sugars, fibers, and several beneficial nutrients. The presence of potassium, vitamin-C, B and other minerals in it helps to neutralize the bacteria in the stomach and avoids acidity by improving bowel movements. It is rich in pectin which helps to eliminate harmful toxins from the stomach and aid better digestion by stimulating digestive enzymes.
- Consumption of banana after a meal can help to avoid acidity and improves digestive health. Try to intake two bananas per day for a healthy digestive system.
Ginger is highly abundant in bioactive and phenolic compounds with several beneficial nutrients which have been used for boosting immunity and other different health purposes. The presence of phenolic compounds in it helps to stimulate the digestive enzymes and relieves gastrointestinal irritation. Its gingerols act as anti-inflammatory agents helps to treat several stomach and gas problems by improving digestion.
- Add small pieces of crushed fresh ginger root to a cup of water and boil them together for 15-20 minutes. Strain the water and add a teaspoon of raw honey and a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to it.
- Mix them well together and consume it on a regular basis for the healthy digestive system.
Being rich in probiotic compounds and beneficial bacteria yogurt serves different digestive and health gains. The natural immune boosting properties of it help to improve immunity and metabolism of the body. It detoxifies the body by eliminating harmful toxins from the digestive tract and promotes digestive health. The presence of calcium, vitamin-B, and potassium in it helps to avoid gastrointestinal disorders and prevents stomach ulcers.
- Consumption of unsweetened yogurt on a daily basis helps to improve digestion by avoiding several digestive disorders.
Lemon juice is well known for relieving indigestion and stomach bloating due to its anti-inflammatory properties along with vitamin-C and iron. It helps to fight against bloating profoundly and contributes to proper digestion. It hydrates the colon and stimulates the production of bile and digestive enzymes and prevents acid reflux and gas problems. It’s citric, and ascorbic acids help to maintain the PH level of body and stomach and relieve all digestive disorders.
- Squeeze a fresh lemon into a glass of warm water and mix it well by adding a teaspoon of raw honey. Consumption of lemon juice on an empty stomach boosts immunity and relieves different digestive problems.
5. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds are widely used to treat several digestive disorders due to the presence of dehydecompound in it. Intaking of these seeds helps to improve the absorption of nutrients from the food and enhances metabolism and aids better digestion. The presence of carminative properties in it helps to reduce acid refluxes and relieves constipation and gas problems.
- Add a tablespoon of cumin seeds to a cup of hot water and steep the solution for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the solution and mix it well by adding a teaspoon of raw honey and a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Consume it on a regular basis to improve your digestion by relieving flatulence problems. It can also provide glowing skin and enhances immunity.