The excess growth of mucus in nasal passages results in the blocked or stuffy nose which makes a person difficult to breathe. Inflammation of nasal passages can be caused by inhaling irritants but is commonly due to infection which causes pain and pressure. The blocked nose is usually caused by viruses that lower the resistance of the body. This infection may become chronic especially in cigarette smokers and persons who stay or work in the polluted atmosphere. Let’s see how to clear a stuffy nose with natural remedies.
Primary Causes Of Stuffy Nose
Pathogens are usually spread by droplet infection, dust, and contaminated air or dressings. The following are some of the reasons for stuffy nose and nasal congestion.
- Cold and flu
- Sinus infection
- Polluted atmosphere
- Bacterial infections
- Low immunity power
- Excess smoking
- Inhaling irritants
What Are The Symptoms Of The Blocked Nose
Viral infections cause acute inflammation of the mucous membrane, leading to tissue congestion. The nasal passage gets blocked due to excess deposition of mucus and obstructs breathing. Some of the symptoms of the stuffy nose are
1. A runny nose
2. A sore throat
3. Facial pain
4. A headache
5. Slight fever
There are several natural spices which can heal several sinus infections, cold and flu by improving immunity in the body. Natural herbs are loaded with potent antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties has proven to be effective in healing nasal congestion. Let’s check out the beneficial home remedies to clear a stuffy nose.
1. Consume Spicy Foods
Consumption of spicy foods helps in the thinning of mucus and offers instant relief. Raw onion and garlic work excellent to reduce mucus deposition in the nasal passages. Try to consume hot and spicy foods to relieve nasal congestion.
Consume hot soups and spicy foods to get relief from the blocked nose. Taking hot showers can also help to decrease the mucus in the nasal passages.
2. Stay Hydrated
Try to consume as much water as you can to hydrate your body which will help to flush out the mucus deposits. Consumption of fresh fruit juices and other liquids helps for the thinning of mucus and clear a stuffy nose.
Consume lemon and orange juices which are enriched with a high concentration of vitamin-C. It enhances the immunity and improves metabolism of the body which helps to fight against the blocked nose and nasal congestion.
3. Coconut Water
Being personally experienced by nasal congestion I highly recommend fresh coconut water which helped me to flush out my stuffy nose within a few days. Coconut water is a powerhouse of essential antioxidants, vitamins and other medicinal values which can reduce the humidity of your body and thin out the mucus in nasal passages.
How To Use:
- Consume fresh coconut water every day at evening times for at least five days which can gradually clear a stuffy nose and to get great relaxation from it.
4. Ginger And Cinnamon Tea
Cinnamon and ginger possess anti-inflammatory properties which support the immune system to recovers. Intaking of this tea helps to clear the nasal ways and relieves pain by reducing inflammation.
How To Use:
- Add one tablespoon of grated ginger, half teaspoon of cinnamon and one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric powder to a glass of warm water.
- Mix the solution and consume it after breakfast for instant relief from blocked nose and pressure.
5. Dehumidifier To Clear Stuffy Nose
Make sure to maintain your room temperature less than 30 Celsius. The excess heat can help to grow bacteria and fungi in your nasal passage and sinuses and results in the stuffy and runny nose. Install a dehumidifier in your home or office. The moisture in the air reduces the nasal layer inflammation by swollen blood vassals. It helps to cleanse the fluid from nasal passages and helps to breathe air naturally.
Cut a medium size onion into two halves and place it in your room on a table. It helps to absorb the polluted air and refreshes the air and helps to breathe clearly.
6. How To Clear Stuffy Nose With Steam Inhalation
Steam inhalation is a natural and expectorant way to unclog the nasal passages instantly. You can inhale plain steam or infused steam. It reduces the inflammation of the mucous membrane and relieves pain and pressure. Inhale the steam 2-3 times a day to get quick relief from nasal congestion and sinus headaches.
7. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus is widely used to treat nasal congestion due to its intense aroma and anti-inflammatory properties. It is quickly relieving blocked nose by thinning the deposition of mucus in nasal passages. The presence of disinfectant properties in this essential oil helps to reduce inflammation and nasal infections profoundly.
How To Use:
- Add few drops of eucalyptus essential oil to boiled water and inhale the steam by covering your head and boiling pot with a towel.
- You can also add any other essential oil like tea tree oil or lavender essential oil for steam to unclog nasal ways and to sooth pain.
8. Mint Leaves
The presence of acetic and ascorbic acids in mint helps to relieve nasal congestion in a rapid way. Inhaling the mint-infused steam provides quick relief from the blocked nose. It flushes out the excess deposition of mucus in nasal passages and helps to breathe clearly.
How To Use:
- Add 8-10 fresh mint leaves to a cup of water and allow it to boil for 5-6 minutes.
- Wrap yourself with a blanket including the boiling pot and inhale the steam for 3-4 minutes by maintaining minimum distance.
- Make sure that the water is not too hot because it may burn your mucus and causes inflammation.
- Do it twice a day to relieve nasal congestion and blocked nose.
9. Carom Seeds (ajwain)
The anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties of carom seeds help to reduce the inflammation of nasal passages and provide relief from nasal congestion. Being rich in essential oils the strong aroma of ajwain helps to drain the deposited mucus from the nasal passages and relieves blocked nose.
How To Use:
- Place two teaspoons of carom seeds in a clean muslin cloth and tie it.
- Inhale the aroma by placing the fabric under your nose frequently.
- Continue the inhaling process through your nose for 4-5 minutes to relieve the blocked nose.
- You can also inhale the delightful aroma of this oil by adding 2-3 drops of it to a smooth hand key or a clean cloth.
10. Black Pepper To Clear Stuffy Nose
Black pepper is the essential ingredient to treat sinusitis and other nasal disorders due to its high content of medicinal properties such as folic acid, nicotine, riboflavin vitamin-A, vitamin-C, lycopene, and carotene –a. It is suggested by several Ayurveda specialists to treat flu and blocked nose. It absorbs excess production of mucus gel and unclogs the nasal ways.
11. Pepper, Holy Basil, And Ginger
It is the most popular remedy to treat nasal congestion. These three ingredients enriched with antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties which help to remove the germs from nasal passages and reduces its inflammation. Intaking of the following syrup help to enhance immunity and prevents nasal blockage.
How To Prepare:
- Take ten leaves of holy basil, ten black peppers and two slices of fresh ginger. Add these ingredients to a boiling strainer and add 2 cups of water to it.
- Boil it for a few minutes to gain one cup of infused water and let it become cool. Strain the solution into a glass.
- Consume the infused water after brush and do not consume anything for 30minutes after its consumption.
- Continue this remedy for at least three days to treat nasal congestion and stuffy nose.
- Ingredients: Black peppers, Turmeric powder, and Crystal Jaggery
- Take 8 grams of black peppers, 5 grams of crystal jaggery and 5 grams of turmeric powder.
- Blend them into a fine mixture and add a half liter of water to it.
- Place them in a boiling pot and boil them until 1/4th of mixture left in the bowl.
- Consume the mixture on the morning of the day before bath and do not eat anything after and before its consumption for 40 minutes.
12. Turmeric Powder To Prevent Blocked Nose
Turmeric is well known for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties with several beneficial components. It is enriched with an unusual element named curcumin which has the healing power to cure sinus infection and nasal congestion.
How To Use:
- Add a tablespoon of turmeric powder to boiling water and inhale the steam for a few minutes by covering your head with a blanket.
- Breathe the steam through your nose and hold it for few seconds. Then actively flush out the air through the nose. Repeat the steps 2-3 times for quick relief from the blocked nose.
- Continue the procedure for at least five days before going to bed.
- You can also intake turmeric and garlic syrup by mixing a pinch of turmeric powder to a spoon of garlic juice twice a day.