Sinus infection is a common inflammatory disorder which has been experiencing by several people around the globe. Sinus is a free space between nasal passages in the nose. The spread of microbes from the nose and pharynx to the mucous membrane results in the blocked nose which is termed as sinusitis. In this condition the congested mucosa tends to block the nose and sinuses, preventing drainage of mucopurulent discharge.
This disorder might be either acute or chronic infection; it can be treated through natural ayurvedic remedies. Severe disease may become chronic if it is not resolved completely. So let’s check out how to prevent sinusitis by naturally enhancing immunity power.
- 1 What Are The Causes Of Sinusitis
- 1.1 Effects Of Sinusitis
- 1.2 Simple Precautions To Avoid Sinus Infection
- 1.3 Modern Treatments For Sinusitis
- 1.4 Natural Home Remedies For Sinus Treatment
- 1.5 1. Garlic To Treat Sinusitis
- 1.6 2. Ginger Tea
- 1.7 3. Hot Steam
- 1.8 4. Cinnamon And Hot Water
- 1.9 5. Turmeric Powder
- 1.10 6. Cumin Seeds
- 1.11 7. Green Camphor And Mint Leaves
- 1.12 8. Self-Massage
What Are The Causes Of Sinusitis
Bacteria invade the tissues and establish infections when there is a decrease of resistance in the body. The following are the primary reasons for the occurrence of sinusitis infection.
- Prolonged exposure to pollutants and high concentration of contaminants in air can cause sinusitis.
- Progressive decrease of moisture in mucous membrane due to excess smoking results in this condition.
- Break down of immunity power in the body leads to sinusitis.
Effects Of Sinusitis
Sinusitis is usually accompanied with an inflammation of the mucous membrane of sinuses and nose with the following symptoms.
- A headache
- Inflammation of nasal passages
- Facial pain
- Red eyes
- Stuffy nose
- The Cough and a common cold
- Fever and sore throat
Simple Precautions To Avoid Sinus Infection
- Avoid smoking: regular smoking can dry out mucus layers which can reduce the ability of mucus moisture.
- Don’t swim in chlorine contained water it may be the cause of sinus infection.
- Wear a nose mask when you step out to avoid polluted air and droplet infections.
- Keep yourself hydrated by consuming more water to improve moisture in the mucous membrane. Try to drink 5-6 liters a day to flush out harmful toxins from the body.
- Regular workouts help you to improve immunity power and avoid several bacterial infections.
- Skip regular head baths which allows your skull pores to absorb water and fills the free space (sinus).
- Avoid caffeine products and add raw onions and garlic along with vitamin-C supplements to your diet to treat sinusitis.
Modern Treatments For Sinusitis
Some of the current treatments available to treat sinusitis are endoscopic, navigation, balloon sinuplasty. These treatments include the opening of sinus and flushing out the frozen mucus through the nasal passages.
Natural Home Remedies For Sinus Treatment
Modern treatments may not be able to afford by everyone. We can prevent sinusitis through the following powerful home remedies which are entirely equivalent to advanced therapies. The presence of high content of antiviral and antifungal properties in home ingredients helps to improve your immunity.
1. Garlic To Treat Sinusitis
The abundant source of essential antioxidants, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in garlic help to prevent sinusitis. Regular consumption of this beneficial ingredient relives blocked nasal passages and enhances the immunity power.
|Contents of garlic||Health benefits|
|Allicin and scordinin||Prevent bacterial infections|
|Vitamin C, Selenium, sulfur||Improves immunity power|
|Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties||Prevents sinusitis infection|
|Decongestant and Expectorant properties||Relieves congestion and avert nasal blockages|
1st Way to Use:
- Crush few garlic cloves and add them to steaming water. Inhale the garlic infused steam for 2-3 minutes to relieve blocked nasal passages. Make sure to cover yourself with a blanket including the pot while steaming.
- You can also consume raw garlic cloves to improve your immunity power. It also helps to treat several bacterial infections like sinusitis, cold and flu.
2nd Way To Use:
- Mash 10 garlic cloves and strain the juice by pressing the crushed garlic paste. Add a tablespoon of honey to the strained juice.
- Consume it twice a day on a regular basis for at least 20 days to prevent all bacterial infections in the body.
3rd Way To Use:
- Add a half teaspoon of turmeric powder and 3-4 crushed garlic cloves to a cup of water and allow it to boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Consume that garlic and turmeric infused water on a regular basis to prevent sinusitis infection.
2. Ginger Tea
Gingerols, zingerone, and shogaols are the main components of ginger which possesses anticarcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties. In taking ginger on a regular basis can help to treat the inflammation of blocked nasal passages and clears sinus infection.
- Add few pieces of freshly grated ginger to a cup of water and allow it to boil for 5-6 minutes. Strain the tea into a clean glass.
- Consume it in morning hours on a daily basis to prevent sinus infections. It also adorably treats a sinus headache.
- You can also consume it by adding a teaspoon of raw honey for pleasant taste.
3. Hot Steam
Steaming is a perfect and profound solution for sinus infections and facial pains. It helps to dissolve the hard mass of mucus and clears the nasal passageway. Hot steam relieves inflammation and pain and flushes mucus out of the nose. It offers instant fresh and relaxed breathe and alleviate a sinus headache. The addition of essential oils to steam water can help you better to treat sinusitis.
- Take a cup of clean water and allow it to boil for 6- minutes. Add any essential oil for delightful aromatherapy.
- You can use any essential oils for steaming like lavender oil, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil and olive oil.
- Hot baths can also relieve inflammation and provides relaxation to the body by alleviating sinus pains.
4. Cinnamon And Hot Water
The anti-inflammatory properties of cinnamon allow it to heal the nasal inflammation and help to relieve blocked nasal passages. The high presence of cinnamaldehyde and eugenol in cinnamon sticks possesses antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Intaking of this beneficial aromatic spice reducing inflammation and clears the nasal passages.
How To Use:
- Make a fine paste by mixing the cinnamon powder with hot water and adheres it too painful sinus infected areas for quick relaxation.
- You can place the cinnamon paste on your forehead to relieve sinus headaches. Cinnamon tea can also alleviate sinus infection.
- You can also consume the cinnamon syrup by adding a pinch of cinnamon powder to a teaspoon of raw honey to prevent sinusitis.
5. Turmeric Powder
The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric powder help to treat sinus infections and common cold problems. Curcumin, the primary component of turmeric acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and helps to treat inflammation and bacterial infections.
How To Use:
- Add a tablespoon of turmeric powder to a cup of water and let it boil for 5-6 minutes.
- Inhale the steam of the turmeric infused water to prevent blocked nasal passages and for unobstructed breathing.
6. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds possess a robust and delightful aroma due to the presence of its aroma compounds like cuminaldehyde, terpenoids, and cymene. Inhaling the potent smell of this seeds helps to relieve nasal congestion and provides instant relief from the blocked nose.
How To Use:
- Place a teaspoon of cumin seeds in your hand key or a soft cloth and wrap it.
- Keep the fabric near your nose and inhale the aroma of those seeds for a few minutes. It will help you to breathe easily by clearing the mucus blockage.
7. Green Camphor And Mint Leaves
The combination of these three ingredients works excellently to treat the sinus infection. The high presence of antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in them can reduce sinusitis. Their antibacterial property helps to ease congestion and relieves the infection.
Camphor acts as disinfect, decongestant and also possesses therapeutic properties. Its anti-inflammatory action helps to relieve inflammation, and its strong aroma helps to clear the blocked nose.
Mint can profoundly treat the sinusitis due to its ascorbic and acetic acids. You can merely inhale the menthol flavor to relieve nasal congestion.
Ingredients: 10 garlic cloves, 5green camphor, and ten mint leaves
How To Use:
- Blend these three ingredients to attain a fine paste by adding some water.
- Consume the solution before morning bath and breakfast on a regular basis.
- Continue this remedy for at least 7days to prevent sinus infection.
- You can inhale the aroma of camphor oil to relieve nasal blockages and to alleviate sinus headaches.
Offering pressure at some points can relieve congestion and eases breathing. Follow the below simple steps to reduce congestion by removing excess mucus in the nasal passages.
Place your tongue at the roof of your mouth and gently press the area between your eyebrows with your thumb for 20-25 seconds and release the tongue and finger. It helps mucus to get back down.
Place your index and middle fingertips on your eye sockets and gently press in a circular motion for few seconds. It helps to relieve congestion.
Place your fingertips beside your end of nostrils and massage gently in a circular motion for a few seconds to clear excess mucus in the nasal passages.