Menstruation occurs due to unfertilized ovum which gets flushed by the uterus along with the lining. The menstrual flow consists of the secretions from endometrial cells and glands, blood from the broken capillaries and the unfertilized ovum. It is usually referred to as periods or menses and lasts about 3-5 days.
80% of women suffer from menstrual cramps and severe menstrual pain due to hormonal changes in their body. If you are one of the women who suffer severely from painful periods then here are the best and effective home remedies to reduce your menstrual pain.
It is a regular cycle occurs in females for every 26 to 30 days which starts from the age of 12 and continues up to an average age of 55 years. It gets starts when a woman gets matured enough to carry the pregnancy. The unfertilized egg or ovum results in menstruation and a new cycle begins again.
What Are The Causes Of Menstrual Cramps
The contraction and relaxation of the uterus during periods causes menstrual cramps which cause severe pain. Stress also can be a reason for these painful cramps. Dysmenorrhoea is a health disorder which causes painful menstruation and menstrual cramps.
Best Home Remedies For Period Pain
You can get rid of that bear less pain and menstrual cramps with the following home remedies which are useful in inducing pain and ease the blood flow.
1. Hot Packs
Placing hot packs on your lower abdomen can help you to relieve the pain and cramps. It will help to increase the blood circulation and ease the blood flow through the uterus. Hot packs help to loosen the tight muscles and relieve the pain.
- Fill a bottle with hot water and place it on your lower abdomen and roll over your stomach for quick relief from menstrual cramps.
- Intaking of warm liquids or warm water can also alleviate the pain and ease the blood flow.
- Having a hot shower can help to reduce the menstrual pain and provide quick relief.
2. Ginger Tea
Ginger is sufficiently enriched with gingerol, ginger dione, gingerdiol and capsaicin which are very beneficial for health. The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger help to loosen the muscles in the uterus and relieve the pain.
How To Prepare:
- Grate fresh ginger into small pieces. Add these pieces to glass if boiled water and let it steep for 5-6 minutes.
- Strain the water and add some honey for taste by mixing well together. Consume the drink 2-3 times a day to relieve the menstrual pain and painful cramps.
- You can also prepare by boiling few slices of ginger and water together for 4-5 minutes.
The high presence of antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties in cinnamon induce the pain and relieve you from painful menstrual cramps. Consumption of cinnamon tea during periods helps to control heavy bleeding and stimulates the blood flow.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a glass of hot water and let it for few minutes.
- Drink the water once in a day during your periods to induce menstrual pain and period cramps.
- You can also prepare the cinnamon tea by boiling a cinnamon stick with water for a few minutes.
4. Holy Basil
Holy basil is referred to as the queen of herbs due to its high content of polyphenolic flavonoids and anti-inflammatory properties along with beneficial compounds. Its medicinal properties help to relieve painful menstrual cramps and ease the blood flow.
- Add some basil leaves to a glass of hot water and let it steep for 3-4 minutes. Strain the water and consume the warm liquid to reduce the menstrual pain.
5. Fenugreek Seeds
The presence of beneficial compounds like saponins and diosgenin along with flavonoids and cinnamic acids helps to alleviate the menstrual pain. Intaking of these seeds can help to reduce menstrual cramps. It has been used for centuries to treat Dysmenorrhoea due to its antispasmodic properties.
- Intake a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with a glass of warm water once in a day to reduce menstrual pain.
The presence of papain enzyme in papaya works excellently to reduce menstrual pain and provides relief from painful period cramps. Consumption of papaya or its juice can help to ease the blood flow by inducing pain.
- Consuming fresh coconut water helps to ease the blood flow by stimulating the blood circulation.
The antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile help to relax the uterus and reduce the period cramps. It induces the menstrual pain and improves the blood flow by relaxing the muscles.
How To Use:
- Add few leaves of chamomile to a glass of hot water and steep the solution for at least 4-5 minutes.
- Strain the water and consume it during your periods to reduce menstrual cramps and to ease the blood flow.
- Consume it twice in a day for painless periods.
Being rich in potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6, iron bananas are very helpful in preventing bloating and muscle cramps. It helps to alleviate the pain and relaxes the uterine muscles and reduces painful contractions. Intaking of fresh ripe banana during periods helps to prevent menstrual cramps and ease the blood flow.
- Consume 2-3 ripe bananas in a day to reduce the menstrual cramps. You can also drink fresh banana juice to have painless periods.
9. Fennel Seeds
The presence of phytoestrogenic, antispasmodic properties of fennel seeds helps to relieve muscle contractions in the uterus and prevents menstrual cramps. Its anti-inflammatory properties can help to ease the blood flow and prevents abdominal pain.
How To Use:
- Add a teaspoon of fennel seeds to a cup of water and boil them together for about 4-5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the mixture and consume it two times a day to reduce menstrual cramps.
10. Things To Be Avoided During Periods
- Stay away from alcohol and caffeine products which can increase menstrual cramps, bloating and heavy blood flow.
- Avoid fatty meats and dairy products and fast foods and snacks like French fries, onion rings for comfortable periods.
- It is better to avoid sex during periods to prevent bacterial and other fungal infections.
- Never skip meals during your periods which results in severe pain and fatigue and loss of energy.
- Avoid watching sad or romantic movies which result in depression and stress.
- Stay out of powerful painkillers which may show a much lousy impact on your health.
- Avoid using cloths for periods which leads to several fungal infections. Opt for sanitary napkins or menstrual cups or tampons which are hygienic.
- Never flush down the sanitary pads into the toilet, it is better to dispose of them in the dustbin by wrapping them in a cover or paper.
Yoga Helps To Treat Menstrual Pain
Yoga is the best solution for menstrual cramps which can also reduce other pains in the body during periods. It helps to alleviate the menstrual pain by improving bowel movements and provides muscle relaxation.
Simple Body Movements
- Sleep on a flat surface laying your back in a straight position keeping your knees bent without a pillow under your head.
- Place your foot on a chair or on a wall to form a 90-degree angle position. Stay for a few minutes.
- This movement can ease the blood flow and relieves menstrual cramps.
Place a pillow under your head and keep your knees apart and stay for 2 minutes by keeping your hands free by your sides. Take long breathes for a few minutes. It will help you to relax and reduces the lower abdominal and back pain.
- Lie on a flat surface keeping your knees in a bent position. Take deep breathes by closing your eyes.
- Twist your knees to the right side when you exhale and come back to the center position when you inhale. Make sure to keep your head straight while twisting the knees.
- Repeat the twisting process from left to right while exhaling to relax the tight muscles and relieves period pain.
- Lie on your back with knees apart and deep breathe by keeping your hands free.
- Keep your knees slowly into a bent position and pull your knees into your chest and hug them by relaxing your low back.
- Also try forward bend and camel or cat poses which can help to relieve pain and reduce menstrual cramps.
Health Tips To Have Clean Periods
- Make sure to change your sanitary pads or tampons for every 5 hours or depending upon the period blood flow. Damped pads may result in skin inflammation and other bacterial infections.
- Always choose best sanitary napkins or tampons or menstrual cups as per your comfort and stay clean during periods by using hand sanitizers.
- Clean your genital areas and keep them dry to avoid bacterial infections and skin rashes. Always clean your private section from front to back (from the vagina to anus) to prevent anus bacteria.
- Don’t skip bath during periods, have a shower every day to stay clean.