This post was most recently updated on June 29th, 2019
Painfully chapped lips are a symptom of less moisture content in the skin occurred mainly in winter seasons or in extreme temperatures. The red chapped or dry lips occur due to the absence of natural oils, moisture, and severe exposure to sunlight.
They create irritation and disturb the appearance of your face. The skin on lips is much sensitive than any other skin of the body. Let’s see how to get rid of chapped lips permanently with simple home remedies. These ingredients are available in your kitchen instead of spending money on expensive products. Let’ see how to get rid of chapped lips fast.
- 1 Most Common Causes Of Chapped Lips
- 2 Simple Tips To Get Rid Of Chapped Lips
- 3 How To Get Rid Of Chapped Lips
- 4 Best Home Remedies For Chapped Lips Treatment
- 4.1 1. Oil Massage For Cracked Lips
- 4.2 2. Honey Is Best Dry Lips Remedy
- 4.3 3. Best Moisturizer To Get Rid of Dry Lips
- 4.4 4. Sugar Scrub To Cure Chapped Lips
- 4.5 5. Butter For Chapped Lips
- 4.6 6. Herbs Help To Get Rid Of Lip Cracks
- 4.7 7. Potato Paste To Cure Chapped Lips
- 4.8 8. Ancestor’s Home Remedies For Chapped Lips
- 4.9 9. Lemon Juice and Glycerin To Cure Dry Lips
- 4.10 10. Rose Petals, Milk And Almond Oil
Most Common Causes Of Chapped Lips
Lips can’t retain the moisture in them due to the absence of oil and sweat glands. The lack of moisture leads to chapped or cracked lips, which are very painful. Following are the different causes of dry, chapped lips.
- Lack of essential nutrients
- Excess exposure to sunlight
- Consumption of alcohol and cigarettes
- Over licking the lips
- Harsh lip care products
- Toothpaste foam
- Lack of moisture
- Unhealthy diet
- Excess medications
Simple Tips To Get Rid Of Chapped Lips
- Stay away from using harmful lip care products, which contains toxic chemicals like phenyl salicylate and salicylic acid, which leads to painful cracked and chapped lips.
- Avoid licking your lips as the saliva evaporates by leaving your lips dry.
- Keep your lips hydrated by drinking sufficient water every day.
- Never cover your face with a blanket while sleeping, which leads to dry, chapped lips.
- Protect your skin on lips with sunscreen lip balms from severe temperatures.
- Reduce the consumption of alcohol and cigarettes.
- Exfoliate the dead skin cells on the skin by rubbing your toothbrush gently on your lips every day.
- Always use moisturizers to keep your lips hydrated.
- Avoid over biting and peeling the dry skin your lips, which leads to cracked lips.
- Make sure to consume healthy diets which are high in vitamin b and iron etc.
- Remove the lipstick from your lips before going to bed.
How To Get Rid Of Chapped Lips
- Oil Massage
- Aloe Vera
- Sugar Scrub
- Potato Paste
Best Home Remedies For Chapped Lips Treatment
Home remedies are the best ways to get rid of cracked lips due to their numerous health benefits. The quick healing action of these remedies helps you to prevent the dryness and softens the chapped, flaky lips. The following are some of the home remedies which guide you to cure chapped lips in simple ways.
1. Oil Massage For Cracked Lips
Oils act as natural moisturizers which help the skin on lips to get hydrated. Coconut oil, jojoba oil, and olive oils are the best home ingredients that play a vital role in skin care regiment. We usually apply those oils to heal wounds and to treat dry skin due to the presence of essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and lubricating properties in them. The massage of oil prevents many infections and reduces the dryness of the lips by contributing moisture and supple again.
How To Use:
- Take a few drops of coconut or olive oil on your palm.
- Dip your fingertip and apply it on your lips.
- Gently massage your lips using your fingertips for 3-4 minutes.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water and pat dry.
You can use this remedy daily as it also removes the dead skin cells from the lips. It helps you to cure the problem of having severely chapped lips and offer softness to your lips.
2. Honey Is Best Dry Lips Remedy
The primary healing components in honey are used to gain excess skin benefits naturally. It is widely used to treat dry skin, dark circles under eyes and reduce dark spots behind pimples and acne. The rapid penetration of honey into the skin keeps the skin on lips hydrated and helps you to get rid of chapped lips fast. The Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of it heal the cracks on the lips quickly.
How To Use:
- Add a half tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to tablespoon of honey and mix them well.
- Apply that blend to your lips and massage it gently.
- Let it for 20-30 minutes and rinse it off with clean water.
- Continue this remedy twice or thrice to cure chapped lips.
3. Best Moisturizer To Get Rid of Dry Lips
The multi-beneficial herb Aloe Vera plays a vital role in health and skin care. It is rich in water content as it contains 90% of the water in it. Aloe vera moisturizes the skin and contributes essential nutrients to get rid of painfully dry, chapped lips. The regular usage of aloe vera gel helps you to get soft, hydrated lips naturally. Moreover, it controls hair loss and provides shiny and smooth hair.
How To Use:
- Grab a tablespoon of fresh aloe vera gel from its leaf.
- Apply that fresh gel on your lips and slowly massage your lips for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Let it for 20-30 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy twice a week to hydrate your lips and to get smooth lips.
4. Sugar Scrub To Cure Chapped Lips
Sugar is a powerful dead skin exfoliator which removes all the dead skin cells from the skin. It softens the skin on the lips and relieves you from painfully chapped lips. Lemon and honey hydrate the skin by nourishing it with their vital nutrients.
How To Use:
- Take a teaspoon of sugar and mix it with little honey.
- Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice to the mixture.
- Mix everything well together and apply it on your lips.
- Give a smooth massage to your lips using your fingertips.
- Wash it off with hot water after 30 minutes.
Use this beneficial home remedy to get rid of chapped lips quickly. Use this remedy twice in a week for soft pink lips.
5. Butter For Chapped Lips
Butter plays an essential role in skin protection, which can heal the effects of toxic acids or chemicals on the skin. It cures many disorders like psoriasis, white spots, dandruff, and other skin allergies. Lactic acid and anti-bacterial properties in it prevent infections and contribute fatty acids to the chapped lips. Let’s see how to get rid of chapped lips fast using butter.
How to use:
- Apply little butter on your lips and massage for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Left it overnight and rinse it off with fresh water on the next morning.
- You can get rid of that chapped lips within in 3 days by using this home remedy.
6. Herbs Help To Get Rid Of Lip Cracks
Holy basil (Ocimum sanctum) and mint leaves play a vital role in Ayurveda. These ingredients are fully loaded with Anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory properties and minerals which penetrate rapidly into the skin cells of lips. They remove the dead skin and dirt from lips and heal your chapped lips.
How To Use:
- Take 4-5 leaves of holy basil and mint leaves and blend them to get a thick paste.
- Apply that paste to your lips and massage it for 3 minutes.
- Leave it overnight and wash it off with fresh water.
- Use this remedy to heal the chapped lips overnight.
7. Potato Paste To Cure Chapped Lips
Potato soothes your lips from sun damage and provides moisture. The presence of Potassium, vitamins, and other essential minerals in potato paste reduces dryness and helps you to get rid of dry, chapped lips.
How To Use:
- Take fresh potato paste which is extracted from potato pieces.
- Apply that to your lips and massage it for 2 minutes
- Leave it overnight and rinse off with clean water on next day morning.
- Continue this remedy at least for five days to cure the chapped lips completely.
8. Ancestor’s Home Remedies For Chapped Lips
According to Ayurveda Samhita ( Ancestor’s medical terminology), your lips color turns to black due to CKD-DIET or blood flow impedance or overheat in the stomach. In such specific cases choose this home remedy for chapped lips.
- Turmeric Powder
- Honey Wax
How To Use:
- Grind some nutmegs until getting a plain flour and store it in a separate cup.
- Add 20 grams of honey wax and 10 grams of ghee in a clean cooking container, heat together at a little temperature (Do not boil them at high temperature). Strain the mixture in another cup and add 10 grams of turmeric powder and nutmeg powder in it.
Blend that all the ingredients well and leave it for 10 minutes which turn as smooth frozen.
- Apply that paste on chapped lips, before going to bed and leave it overnight.
- Continue this remedy at least 10days to cure your chapped lips.
- Note: If that get hard frozen, add a few drops of ghee with it while applying to lips.
How It Will Help You
Nutmeg can offer healthy digestion and reduce the heat and CKD-DIET in the stomach due to its essential oils and medicinal values, but you should not take it orally while using it to your lips. Turmeric and honey enriched with antioxidants which can remove dead skin on the skin. The antiseptic properties in turmeric kill the bacteria and some microorganisms in the lip cracks. These four ingredients combination keeps your lips moisturized and healthier.
9. Lemon Juice and Glycerin To Cure Dry Lips
Lemon and glycerin application can effectively cure dry lips. These both are packed with moisturizing with cleansing properties which remove the dead and dry skin on the lips by providing sufficient moisture. Some Ayurvedic doctors are also recommending these ingredients to get soft and smooth lips. Moreover, the topical application of these ingredients can turn your lips black color to pink.
How To Use:
- You have to take 1:4 ratio glycerin and lemon juice to make this remedy.
- Add a teaspoon of glycerin to a tablespoon of lemon juice and mix them well.
- Apply it directly to your lips before going to bed and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
10. Rose Petals, Milk And Almond Oil
You can get multiple benefits with these ingredients. The presence of lactic acid in milk removes dead skin, and rose petals keep your skin pink by providing sufficient moisture. As well as, Almond oil and glycerin provide softness to your lips
- 10 Rose petals
- 1Teaspoon of glycerin
- A half cup of milk
- 1Teaspoon of almond oil
How To Use:
- Mix those four ingredients in a bowl to make them as a paste.
- Apply that paste to your lips and leave it for 20 minutes and rinse it off with cold water.
- Use this remedy at least 15 days to see an improvement.